Thursday, April 28, 2016

Do you prefer Indian?

I've got pens, probably more than I should, a good percentage of those are ones I bought to fix.  When I actually get around to fixing them, I'll post that for sure.  While searching out more fantastic inks (I love Quink, Diamine, Herbin, and Noodlers) that would work in an eye-dropper pen (I'd been meaning to buy one for years) I came across a review for a hand-made pen by Ranga of India.  There are hundreds of brands out there I don't know, but something about India surprised me.  It shouldn't, the Sub-continent and surrounding lands have been masters of ink for thousands of years.  Indeed, some of the worlds most beautiful illuminated texts are in Sanskrit.  What really surprised me is that their starter pen, entirely hand-made to order, was $19.99 including shipping.  A bespoke pen for less than 20 dollars.  That I had to try.

I first purchased the bottom pen, the Ranga model 2.  I have not been able to locate this pen on the Amazon or Ebay Ranga stores recently, so it is possible it is no longer offered.  It was $19.99  The top pen is the Large Duofold $29.99.  Both are made from the basic choices of Ebonite.  The model 2 is 5.75" and the Duofold 6".  Clearly, though, the Duofold is a more robust build, big enough no to fit in my largest two-pen case.  


Here are the same pens posted.  Both wear their caps securely, and look very nice.  They write well whether posted or not, but I prefer the balance provided posted, especially with the model 2, which can be a little light without the cap.  Posted they are each 1" longer than closed, so 6.75" and 7".


The Duofold: I don't own any of the original vintage Parkers, but per all I can find, this is a bit more generous. Take it as an homage to a classic.  The clip is appropriately generous, and nicely curved, giving it a little more presence that the slender one used on the 2.  I have it loaded here with Herbin Ink, Orange Indien.  It holds a whopping 3.5 cc's, and I've not had any problem with it being an eyedropper.  The nib writes like a fine, and is nicely smooth.

The Model 2: Nice and slim, and very classic looking.  I writes like a bigger pen, very comfortable, not cramped, which might be because of the curve to the body.  It writes best posted.  The clip is slender, modern, and naked, presumably epoxied the the cap.  I have it loaded with Mont Blanc Mystery Black.  It flows well, but not as well as the Duofold.  This could be one of two things: the smaller nib does not have enough surface area to draw as quickly, or the thicker Mont Blanc ink is better suited for a medium or medium-fine nib.  Once going, it flows well, and as with the Duofold, no problems with burps and such as one expects with an eyedropper.  

The Duofold is brown swirled Ebonite with a black cap, and the model 2 green swirl.  The basic colors offered are black in two finishes and olive, green, and brown swirl.  Speaking of the Ebonite, there are some beautiful options for an upcharge, usually marked in their description as "Rare."  If you want something different, these rare options can be quite striking.  Prior to these pens, I have never owned an Ebonite pen.  It feels warm to the touch and is smooth without having the sticky feel that acrylic can.  Beyond the Ebonite, Ranga also offers acrylic, and Ebonite with clear acrylic, their take on a demonstrator.  

Shipping has always been faster than estimated, and the customer service is excellent.  One receives an email fairly quickly requesting your choice of color, and any further correspondence is timely.  I like to support someone practicing a craft when I can, rather than purchasing from a factory/bulk producer.  When I can do that, and get a product better than what I could buy for the same price, it's even better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment