Wednesday, May 18, 2016

CO Bigelow and Art of Shaving side by side

Art of shaving (L) C O Bigelow (R)
I'm on a shaving kick lately.  Do not know why, but something about seeing shaving ads for brands that push the multi-blade razors, with gel strips, swiveling heads, and contour handles just makes me anxious.  Soon I'm expecting a laser guided leveling system to be built right in, just so they can charge you more.  Of course, the latest retrend.  Let's stop there, retrend, I don't think that is a word, but I'm going to make it one.  It should only be used by people old enough to see the phenomenon, and secondly, it is when you see the same stupid junk being recycled, hyped, and made out to be new, when it really happened twenty or thirty years ago.  So, the latest retrend seems to be that everything has a lubricant built right into it, guaranteeing a frictionless shave.   Well, I still remember those horrible white strips from the '80's that disintegrated and actually screwed up the geometry of the shave the more they disintegrated.  Horrid.  It got me thinking that I don't experience that one bit.  Not at all.  Why?  Sharp single blades and good quality shaving cream.  As mentioned previously, I first found C O Bigelow when researching something other than shaving soaps, and like them so much I use a number of their products (a scent and lotion).  Lately, I've been using Art of Shaving Lemon Essential Oil cream, and find that I may like it more.  So, I'm doing a little side by side.  Prior to the actual comparison, I want to share a little about my experience with Art of Shaving.

I'd only seen art of shaving online, and found the prices to be a tad steep to just try and then possibly toss because I didn't like the product.  So, I dismissed them.  While on vacation in Vegas, we found ourselves in the Forum Shops at Caesars.  Among the watch stores, lord I could spend all day, and probably did, just looking in the stores, was an Art of Shaving store.  I had no idea they had stores, the nearest one being 20 miles through horrid traffic, but nearly ran in and dragged my wife in with me, scowling at me after putting up with hours looking at watches.  Isn't it usually reversed?  Hmmmmm......... Anyways, the salesman, oddly, was not well shaved.  Great beard, but scruffy and not trimmed.  Odd for a shaving store, but, extremely helpful, telling me about the various products and giving me a tidbit of info about finding your favorite blade, this there will be more on later.  Overall, amazingly helpful to see, smell, and touch the product.  I was impressed that it is so smooth.  Anyways, I was convinced to try their smaller tube, 2.5oz.
Art of Shaving on the brush
Art of shaving in the mug
You can see a slight sheen on this product.  It feels like there is a fairly high oil content.  It provides a very smooth shave, and what I like most is that it has a dense lather that stays put.  The lemon is not strong, I would say that it would do better with a stronger scent, but since I use aftershave every time I shave, really have nothing to complain about.
C O Bigelow on the brush
C O Bigelow in the mug
Note: I used the same amount of water and cream in each of these shaves.  The C O Bigelow is definitely foamier than the Art of Shaving.  It is stiffer and has just a touch of "slop" when applying.  It allows for a close shave, has enough oil to prevent any dragging, and has a stronger scent than the Art of Shaving.  This is due, I'm sure, to the fact it is a menthalyptus product.  I enjoy that it is pungent enough that you almost do not need to use aftershave if you just use whatever's left in the mug to wash you face with.  Very tingly.  I'd say these are pretty close in quality but feel that I get a closer shave with the Art of Shaving.  Packaging, Art of Shaving is more convenient, especially in the bathroom, but the Bigelow is more durable.  I've taken this tube on a 30+ day road trip without in leaks or breaks.  It looks sloppy, so it has got to stay under the sink, but the best choice for traveling.

It's hard to call.  I'm always open to suggestions on what products you like.  If you can convince me, maybe I'll give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment